This holiday season choose toys and games that will help your preschooler get ready for a lifetime of learning! Here are some suggestions to help your preschooler with language development from our pediatric speech and language pathologists.
1. Cat in the Hat – I Can Do That! $18.39
- Good for teaching direction following!
2. Cranium Cariboo $21.99
- Good pre-reading/literacy game, incorporates beginning sounds/letters, shapes, colors, numbers, concepts (“empty/full, not”)
3. Hasbro Candy Land Castle Game $15.97
- Good for simple matching, concepts (“same/different”)
4. Hi Ho Cherry-O $12.29
- Good for teaching 1:1 counting, concepts (“more/most, some/all”)
5. Go Away Monster $11.58
- Very simple matching game
6. Melissa & Doug Best Friends Forever Deluxe Magnetic Dress-Up $24.92
- Good for those who need work with descriptive words (“pretty, long”) or boy/girl pronouns
7. Lucky Ducks $22.92
- Simple color matching, concepts (“same/different, more/most”)
Note: All toys were available at amazon.com as of November 2009. Please note that not all toys will be appropriate for your child and are dependent upon his/her developmental level.