This month our Kohl’s a Minute for Kids campaign is focusing on ways you and your family can make ordinary behaviors into healthy habits.
“It takes the average person 30 days to make a new behavior a habit,” says Christie Bernard, registered nurse at Dayton Children’s. “Setting simple and attainable goals to achieve a healthy lifestyle is important for every family.”
Healthy habits are for everyone. Here are some simple behaviors that you can develop into healthy habits:
- Eat at least 5 fruits or vegetables each day.
- Limit TV time to less than two hours each day.
- Make sure everyone in your family gets at least 1 hour of activity or exercise each day.
- Limit sugar-containing drinks and drink more milk and water.
- Help your child relate positive feelings with healthy activities. Instead of rewarding your child with a candy bar for a great report card, consider spending a day at the park with him or her.
- Praise your child when he or she practices a healthy habit.
- Set a good example as a parent – children will imitate what you do.
“And remember, it’s important to stick to your expectations and give your child consistency,” says Bernard. “Make sure all of your child’s caregivers support your new lifestyle – this includes the babysitter, grandparents and others.”
For more tips for developing healthy habits from the Kohl’s a Minute for Kids campaign visit our website.