Drivers need to do their part to keep trick-or-treaters safe from harm. Dayton Children’s, FedEx and Safe Kids Greater Dayton reminds motorists to be extra careful this Halloween and recommends that drivers:
- Be especially alert in residential neighborhoods.
- Drive more slowly and anticipate heavy pedestrian traffic on and near the road.
- Be sure to drive with your full headlights on so you can spot children from greater distances.
- Take extra time to actively look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs.
- Remember that costumes can limit children’s visibility and they may not be able to see your vehicle.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully.
- Remember that children are excited on this night and may move in unpredictable ways.
- Remember that popular trick-or-treat hours are during the typical rush-hour period; between 5:30-9:30pm.
- Reduce any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and pedestrians.
- Triple check all blind spots because kids will most likely not be paying good attention to you.
Visit Dayton Children’s or Safe Kids USA for more Halloween safety tips!